Thursday, September 15, 2011

A note on vegan tattooing

So, a little more than a year ago shortly after opening Goyo Tattoo, a good friend of mine Jesse Weisenfeld came to me wanting a tattoo. Jesse is an all around great guy, bio major, the son of a veterinarian (like me) and in keeping with his generally kind nature Jesse is a pretty strict vegan. Not the pushy kind, mind you, in fact most people how know him aren't even aware of his eating habits. He generally just quietly makes the non-animal choices whenever we're out and about and goes on with life. Well, being that we're good buddies, I knew that it would be important to him that my products be animal free. So, I sent out a few emails to my ink manufacturers, and surprisingly enough (or not, I'm not sure) not of my equipment contains animal products! Since most of the dyes are derived from minerals, the biggest potential contributor to animal content would be glycerin, although it doesn't HAVE to be made from animals. Turns out being a vegan-friendly tattoo studio is pretty easy. One day I'll talk about the small steps I'm taking to cut down on waste, which unfortunately there is a ton of in this industry.

Here's Jesse's tattoo, it's a sabertooth tiger skull! Sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment